Spicy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- GLAZE (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin and vanilla; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients. Stir into pumpkin mixture just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- 2. Spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. If desired, combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled loaves. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 slice: 255 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Spicy Pumpkin Bread
"Excellent. Substituted 1 cup raisins for choc. chips (allergies!). This is not a moist/mushy loaf like banana bread, but is sturdy and fine-grained, with a tender-crunch crust just out of the oven. I love it sliced and buttered, but would also make GREAT gourmet fall picnic sandwiches, with shaved Black Forest or Westphalian ham and a sweet-spicy mayo, with shaved smoked turkey and Havarti...or simply on a tray with slices of smoked gouda and apples. Love it. Very pretty presentation, too (nice top); gave one loaf as a gift (neighbors seem to be making out well with this recipe! :-) ."
"This bread is excellent!! Have made a few times already ~~ did cut back on chocolate chips tho ~~ used 1 cup and it seemed enouigh to me. This bread is a definite keeper!!"
"I forgot to mention that without the eggs I cut the flour back by 1/2 c. The outside has a nice crispy texture, the inside is dense of course, but very moist and flavorful."
"I made this without eggs or nuts because I was out. Originally I only put in 1/2 t. nutmeg because I was looking at the glaze part of the recipe instead of the bread itself. I added the extra 1/2 t. and I think I would prefer just using the 1/2 t. (from tasting the dough "without eggs") ;) I also sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top before baking instead of the glaze. The bread is baking now and my home smells so autumnal. I also didn't use a mixer, mixed by hand. Just out of the oven and the bread is quite good, even without the eggs and nuts. Next time I'll add both and cut the nutmeg down to 1/2 t. ;-)"
"The BEST quick bread recipe I have ever made! Turned out moist & full of flavor from all the spices. Once I saw how much dough this made, I switched to 9 x 5 pans - glad I did as they were huge loaves! I didn't make the glaze as the bread had enough flavor without it. Also, mine were perfectly done at 55 minutes. Ovens vary, so be careful not to over bake these."
"I made this delicious bread and gave one loaf to my neighbor. My husband got mad at me for giving it away because he absolutely loved it. It is so good. The more you eat, the more you want and it is wonderful with a cup of coffee. I will make this over and over again."