Spicy Pumpkin & Corn Soup
A seriously quick dish, it can satisfy a hungry household in 15 minutes. My family loves sharing this soup with cornbread, or you can add a zesty kick with some Rotel. — Heather Rorex, Winnemucca, NV
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, mix all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened,
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 8 servings.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 100 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.