Spicy Pork Tostadas Recipe
I serve these flavorful tostadas as a casual meal for family or friends. My husband and I love the salsa topping so much that I often double that part of the recipe so we have some left over to serve with chicken, on burgers or as a dip. —Kathy Smith, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (about 3 pounds)
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine the oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne; rub over roast. Place fat side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the green pepper, salsa, corn, beans, paprika, pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cilantro; keep warm.
- Shred pork with two forks; keep warm. In a large skillet, fry tortillas, one at a time, in remaining oil for 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Place tortillas on serving plates; top with shredded pork, onion mixture and cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Pork Tostadas in Taste of Home April/May 2008
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Spicy Pork Tostadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 2, 2011
Everyone, including my picky eater, loved this!