Spicy Plum Sauce
Suzanne Veverka, a field editor from White Cloud, Michigan, suggests, "This flavorful fruit sauce is delicious over pork or poultry. The pepper gives it a little kick."—Suzanne Veverka, White Cloud, Michigan
72 ServingsPrep: 1-1/2 hours Process: 15 min.
- 4 pounds fresh plums, pitted and quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 3-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a blender or food processor, process the plums, onion and garlic
- in batches until smooth. Transfer to a Dutch oven. Stir in the
- remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for
- 60-90 minutes or until reduced by a third.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in.
- headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process
- for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 9 half-pints.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 54 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.