Spicy Pinto Bean Chili Recipe
This spicy, meatless chili is a wonderful dish to have during the winter months. I like to serve this with a slice of corn bread on the side.—Chris Moyers, Felton, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. + soaking Cook: 3 hours YIELD:14 servings
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. Rinse and sort beans. Soak overnight or use quick-soak method. Discard liquid. Add the water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- 2. Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender and flavors have blended, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 122 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 485 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC