- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Rinse and sort beans. Soak overnight or use quick-soak method. Discard liquid. Add the water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender and flavors have blended, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese if desired. Yield: 3-1/2 quarts.
Reviews forSpicy Pinto Bean Chili
"Hubby said so-so; he's had better. I used a tiny bit of ghost pepper sauce since he's not a green chiles fan. Ghost pepper is Very Hot. It was easy. That's a plus for me."
"GREAT! Followed recipe, but no canned chilies so used a spicey giardiniera, amazing flavor."
"loved this recipe and so did my family but i added ground turkey to eat to make it more filling."