Spicy Pickled Garlic Recipe
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups peeled garlic cloves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 dried hot chilies, split
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf, torn into three pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic and boil 1 minute.
- 2. Meanwhile, divide coriander, peppercorns, chilies, allspice and bay leaf among three hot half-pint jars. Drain garlic and pack into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Carefully ladle hot liquid over garlic, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 4. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 3 half-pints.
1 garlic clove: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Spicy Pickled Garlic
"This is so much better than the pickled garlic I have purchased at safeway or any of the other stores for that matter..."