Spicy Pickled Garlic
Here’s a delicious condiment for the garlic lover on your list. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how pickling mellows out the garlic, making it a tasty sandwich topper.
120 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Process: 10 min.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups peeled garlic cloves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 dried hot chilies, split
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf, torn into three pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic and boil 1
- Meanwhile, divide coriander, peppercorns, chilies, allspice and bay
- leaf among three hot half-pint jars. Drain garlic and pack into jars
- to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a
- boil, stirring constantly. Carefully ladle hot liquid over garlic,
- leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace,
- if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars;
- screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are
- completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10