Spicy Pickled Garlic
Here’s a delicious condiment for the garlic lover on your list. You’ll be pleasantly surprised how pickling mellows out the garlic, making it a tasty sandwich topper.
120 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Process: 10 min.
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups garlic cloves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 dried hot chilies, split
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf, torn into three pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic and boil for 1
- minute. Meanwhile, divide the coriander, peppercorns, chilies,
- allspice and bay leaf among three hot half-pint jars. Drain garlic
- and pack into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a
- boil, stirring constantly. Carefully ladle hot liquid over garlic,
- leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust
- lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 3