- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups peeled garlic cloves
- 12 coriander seeds
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 3 dried hot chilies, split
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 bay leaf, torn into three pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white wine vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canning salt
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic and boil 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, divide coriander, peppercorns, chilies, allspice and bay leaf among three hot half-pint jars. Drain garlic and pack into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Carefully ladle hot liquid over garlic, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 3 half-pints.
Originally published as Spicy Pickled Garlic in Canning & Preserving 2012, p45
Reviews for Spicy Pickled Garlic
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2012
"This is so much better than the pickled garlic I have purchased at safeway or any of the other stores for that matter..."