Spicy Peanut Soup Recipe
After enjoying a spicy peanut soup at a little cafe, I knew I had to try and duplicate it at home. I think my version comes pretty close. It's the best way I know how to chase away winter's chill. —Lisa Meredith, Eagan, Minnesota
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook carrots and onion in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in sweet potato; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in peanut butter and curry paste until blended. Add the broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and pepper.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes and carrots are tender. (Soup will appear curdled.) Discard bay leaf and thyme sprig. Stir soup until blended.
- 4. Sprinkle with peanuts. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 276 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 932mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein
Reviews for Spicy Peanut Soup
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC