I created a citrusy version of General Tso's chicken. Top with sesame seeds and green onions, roasted red peppers and sugar snap peas. —Paula Williams, Covington, Kentucky
Recommended: 30 Ways to Cook Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 large navel oranges
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Hot cooked rice
- Sesame seeds and thinly sliced green onions
- Finely grate peel from one orange; place peel in a small bowl. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each orange; stand oranges upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from oranges. Working over the small bowl with orange peel to catch juices, cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit; set sectioned oranges aside. Stir cornstarch, broth, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, lemon juice, jalapeno and pepper flakes into orange juice and peel.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken; stir-fry 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in reserved orange sections. Serve with rice. Sprinkle servings with sesame seeds and green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Orange Chicken in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p231
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Orange Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review