Spicy Molasses Cookies
I found this family recipe in an old cookbook on a timeworn note, handwritten by my stepdaughter's grandmother. It's a very soft, moist cookieand tastes great with a big glass of milk.
72 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark molasses
- 3 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses. Add eggs,
- one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry
- ingredients and spices; add to batter and mix lightly. Stir in nuts
- and raisins if desired; mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for
- 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 70 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium,