- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark molasses
- 3 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1 cup raisins, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add molasses. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients and spices; add to batter and mix lightly. Stir in nuts and raisins if desired; mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Originally published as Spicy Molasses Cookies in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p54
Reviews for Spicy Molasses Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2011
"This recipe really seems to lack something, it is bland and pretty tasteless. I was very, very disappointed."
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2010
"They are very tasty! They taste like gingerbread cookies.Yum!!!"