- In a large bowl, combine the egg, croutons, onion, green pepper,
- garlic powder, cumin, oregano and pepper. Crumble turkey and sausage
- over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place in a 5-qt.
- slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and broth until
- smooth; stir in the tomatoes, carrots, tomato paste, soup mix,
- garlic, basil and pepper flakes. Pour over meatballs. Cover and cook
- on low for 5-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve
- with pasta.
- Serve immediately or cool before placing in a freezer container.
- Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen meatballs: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Place
- meatballs in a large skillet; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until
- heated through. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup sauce with 5 meatballs equals 369 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.