Spicy Meatballs with Sauce Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup crushed seasoned salad croutons
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, croutons, onion, green pepper, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and pepper. Crumble turkey and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and broth until smooth; stir in the tomatoes, carrots, tomato paste, soup mix, garlic, basil and pepper flakes. Pour over meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve with pasta.
- 3. Serve immediately or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 4. To use frozen meatballs: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Place meatballs in a large skillet; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup sauce with 5 meatballs equals 369 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,097 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.