Spicy Meat Loaves Recipe
In Marion, North Carolina, Melanie Ellis puts a fun spin on meat loaf with her Southwestern specialty. She tops the taco-flavored single-serving loaves with zesty tomato sauce and shredded cheese before bringing them to the dinner table.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons onion mushroom soup mix
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce, divided
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Stir in 3/4 cup tomato sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six loaves.
- 2. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top each with 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (save remaining sauce for another use). Sprinkle with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°; drain. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 363 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 1,094 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 35 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC