Spicy Mango Scallops Recipe
- 12 sea scallops (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- Minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Pat scallops dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and firm. Remove from pan.
- 2. Add onion to same pan; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in chutney.
- 3. Return scallops to pan; heat through, stirring gently to coat. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
3 scallops with 1/2 cup cooked rice and 2 tablespoons sauce: 371 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Spicy Mango Scallops
"This was pretty darn good. I love scallops and I'm always looking for recipes with them so I can eat them more often. This was quick to put together - used the 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and because I like things spicy I didn't think this packed much heat."
"I have never had scallops and was reluctant to try the recipe but the mango chutney sounded good so I substituted small shrimp for the scallops and made my own chutney. I loved it but my husband didn't. It was delicious with shrimp."
"Lovely and light enough for a patio dinner party. I used wild rice instead and squeezed the juice from one key lime into the rice with the cilantro instead of sprinkling that on top at the end. Added a nice flavor to the rice."
"I don't eat seafood, but this one went over well with my husband, and he's a man of discerning taste!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.