- 12 sea scallops (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Pat scallops dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops; cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and firm. Remove from pan.
- Add onion to same pan; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in pineapple juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in chutney.
- Return scallops to pan; heat through, stirring gently to coat. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Mango Scallops
"I have never had scallops and was reluctant to try the recipe but the mango chutney sounded good so I substituted small shrimp for the scallops and made my own chutney. I loved it but my husband didn't. It was delicious with shrimp."
"Lovely and light enough for a patio dinner party. I used wild rice instead and squeezed the juice from one key lime into the rice with the cilantro instead of sprinkling that on top at the end. Added a nice flavor to the rice."
"I don't eat seafood, but this one went over well with my husband, and he's a man of discerning taste!"