This recipe came to me from a friend and previous coworker at a health food store. I changed a few things until I found a version that my family loves. My 5-year-old son doesn't like things too spicy, so I make the stew milder for him and add a sprinkle of extra spice in mine. My husband, who farms, works outdoors for long hours at a time and finds this soup hearty enough to keep him satisfied.—Melanie MacFarlane, Bedeque, Prince Edward Island
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, oregano and pepper flakes; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add chickpeas, lentils, olives and paprika; stir in broth and tomato sauce. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach. Top servings with yogurt. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Spicy Lentil & Chickpea Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p56
Reviews for Spicy Lentil & Chickpea Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review