- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, chili powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- Hot cooked noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a greased 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the onion, water, lemon juice, oil and seasonings. Add chicken; turn to coat. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Gradually add the cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Lemon Chicken
"A friend at church gave me some home-grown lemons, and I was excited to try out this recipe. Unfortunately, I didn't like it. My husband didn't care for it much, either. There was no balance to the flavours. It didn't like taste like lemon to us, it just tasted acidic. Well, like acid plus onion. At the end of the meal, the aftertaste left me feeling like I had been sucking on the end of a 9v battery. The chicken itself was ok, but the sauce wasn't good. I wouldn't make this again."
"I ended up doubling the recipe because I thought I had more than 4 chickn breast, which I did not! But i still think it came out really good. My husband liked it, so it's a keeper."
"The spice note in this was nice, however, the lemon was a bit over-powering. Next time, I might tone down the lemon just a smidge."
"A little too lemony for my taste. Next time I will cut down on the lemon juice and use chicken stock instead of water. Also had to double every thing but the chicken breasts. Cooked in 2 hours not 4-5."