Spicy Lamb Kabobs Recipe
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 cups (8 ounces) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 pounds lean boneless lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 cubes fresh pineapple (1-inch)
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 8 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 2 cups torn romaine
- 2 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1/2 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup green grapes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- 1. Peel cucumber and remove seeds. Place cucumber in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Remove half of cucumber; set aside. Process remaining cucumber until pureed. Combine pureed cucumber and reserved cucumber; stir in the sour cream, lemon juice and seasonings. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the first seven kabob ingredients. Pour 1-1/2 cups marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the lamb. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread lamb, pineapple and tomatoes.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the lettuces, onions, tomato, sprouts, grapes and walnuts; sprinkle with cheese. Set aside.
- 5. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lamb reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), basting frequently with reserved marinade.
- 6. Beat butter and honey until blended; brush over pitas. Serve with kabobs, salad and sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 610 calories, 30 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 729 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 39 g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Lamb Kabobs
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.