Spicy Lamb Curry Recipe
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground fenugreek
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Optional toppings: cubed fresh pineapple, flaked coconut and toasted sliced almonds
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add the lamb; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches; remove and keep warm. In the same pan, cook onions in drippings until tender. Add the water, paprika, tomato paste, salt, mustard and chili powder.
- 3. Return lamb to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in yogurt. Serve with rice. Top with pineapple, coconut and almonds if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Fenugreek is available from Penzeys Spices. Call 800-741-7787 or visit penzeys.com.
3/4 cup curry with 1/2 cup rice (calculated without optional toppings): 419 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.