Spicy Kielbasa Soup
Red pepper flakes bring a little zip to this hearty soup that's full of good-for-you ingredients. "Should you have any left over, this soup is great reheated, after flavors have had time to blend," writes Carol Custer of Clifton Park, New York. "I like to serve steaming bowls of it with rye bread."
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a nonstick skillet, cook kielbasa over medium heat until lightly
- browned. Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook and stir for 3
- minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 194 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 1,187 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein.