Spicy Kielbasa Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib with leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook kielbasa over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 194 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 1,187 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Kielbasa Soup
"Absolute favorite! I have made it several different ways, due to missing ingredients, but I must say it's great no matter how I "fudge" the recipe."
"I loved this soup! Very hearty, but doesn't pack on the calories. It is high in sodium, so use low sodium when possible. I used a full pound of sausage, and it worked fine. Tasted better the next day when the flavors blended together."
"I only got 1 bowl. The rest was gone in a blink of an eye. My family loved it. We left out the celery."
"I increased to 3 celery ribs, 2 carrots, and one pound of smoked turkey kielbasa and I used low sodium tomatoes and beans; a very warming soup on a cold evening after working all day!"
"I was excited about this soup but after making it I did not like it. Not enough meat in the soup. My husband even refused to try it."
"I accidentally used diced tomatoes with green chilies instead of stewed tomatoes. Substituted 3 red potatoes for pepper & zucchini. It was quite tasty."
"+ 2/3 cup barely last hour of cooking."
"I found this recipe on a search to use up a bit of leftover kielbasa, and picked it because the other ingredients were readily on hand. I was incredibly surprised at how fantastic it turned out! This is a restaurant-quality soup, hearty and delicious."
"Will make again and again. So easy and tasty."
"The smell of this soup as it cooks is wonderful! It is so tasty. I am ready to make it again."
"We enjoyed this delicious soup. I threw in a pound of kielbasa, but otherwise followed the recipe."
"This is very flavorful! I would definitely make this again. For those people doing Weight Watchers it is only 3 points for 1 1/2 cups!!"