- 1 package (5.9 ounces) instant chicken-flavored rice and sauce mix
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chicken and sausage in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the green pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato and seasonings; heat through. Add the shrimp; cook an stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with the prepared rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Jambalaya in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p54
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Jambalaya
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2016