Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 6 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 20 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- 1. Place the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and garlic in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Drizzle with oil. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender and browned. Cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer vegetables and cooking liquid to a food processor. Add the cilantro, lime juice, cumin and salt. Cover and pulse until chunky; set aside.
- 3. For filling, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cilantro and 1 cup of the tomatillo mixture. Stir in chicken.
- 4. To assemble, spread 1/4 cup tomatillo mixture into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spread 1 tablespoon tomatillo mixture and 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place seam side down into baking dishes. Spoon remaining tomatillo mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle with cheese.
- 5. Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Bake the second dish, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with sour cream, tomatoes and cilantro if desired.
- 6. To use frozen enchiladas: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 dishes (10 servings each).
1 enchilada (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 412 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,044 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.