Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwiches
"There's no need for other condiments when you jazz up sausages with zippy peppers," promises Bonnie Jost of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Leftover links are handy to use in the two recipes that follow.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 16 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 each medium green, sweet red, yellow and orange peppers, julienned
- 1 banana pepper, julienned optional
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 brat or hot dog buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer
- pink. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, saute peppers and onion
- in oil. Drain sausages; place a sausage in each bun. Top each with
- about 1/3 cup pepper mixture. Refrigerate remaining sausages. Yield:
- 8 sandwiches plus 8 extra sausages.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 713 calories, 38 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 1,417 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 34 g protein.