- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 2-1/4 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute the green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Reduce heat; add shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, green onions, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Island Shrimp
"very spicy that kids could not eat it as well has my husband."
"Delicious...No need to change anything. I was worried about the cayenne pepper and reduced it to half of what the recipe called for. I won't change anything in the recipe next time i make it. My family like this one a lot."
"This has to be one our absolute favorite recipes EVER in our house. I take out a portion for my kids before I add the white and cayenne pepper (too spicy for them yet and 6 & 5) add a litte ketchup to their version and they eat it right up! Of course my husband and I LOVE the full spicy version. SO GOOD!"
"Great recipe. I just recently realized that I love shrimp recipes. I don't like green pepper though & used red instead. I cut the recipe in 1/2 & it was at least 4 servings. Definitely a keeper"
"This is one of my favorites, Love the spicy shrimp. I have made this several times, i like to change it just a little each time."
"I would use a diffrent sauce base next time."
"One of my favorite shrimp recipes yet. So easy to make and has an awesome flavor. Will cut back on the peppers for my daughter, as I think it is too spicy for her."
"Sorry folks my reviews were for the shrimp Newburg, I haven't tried the spicy Island shrimp yet. It was the next recipe I was going to try. Sorry !"