Spicy Hush Puppies Recipe
These spicy hush puppies make a wonderful side dish to fish. They taste best when served warm.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup pancake mix
- 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, pancake mix, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, oil, jalapenos, onion and pepper sauce. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4 dozen.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC