Hummus is a Middle Eastern spread made from seasoned mashed chickpeas. Served with pita wedges, this version from our Test Kitchen home economists is a simple satisfying snack.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, ground
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin, ginger, coriander and paprika
- Pita bread, cut into wedges
- In a food processor or blender, combine the parsley, onion and
- garlic; cover and process until smooth. Add the chickpeas, sesame
- seeds, vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, mustard and
- seasonings; cover and process until smooth. Serve with pita bread.
- Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without pita bread) equals 89 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 316 mg sodium,