Spicy Hearty Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the peppers, celery and jalapenos. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10 servings (about 4-1/4 quarts).
1-3/4 cup: 261 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Hearty Chili
"I have a chili recipe that I have used for years and this one is a close second. My husband puts hot sauce on almost everything so this has the zing he likes. I cut back on the jalapeno pepper...1 instead of 3...and it was plenty hot enough, even for him. He told me he couldn't imagine what 3 would taste like!!! So beware if you use 3 jalapenos!!!!"
"I like this recipe (and I've tried a lot of recipes), but i did change some things; I added 1-2 tsp of sugar and substitute 1.5 cups salsa (whatever spice level you like) for the jalapeno peppers, just because my kids don't like food too hot."
"I have tried better chili recipes. This one was not bad, but not good enough to make again. It could be improved with more spice, maybe a little sweetness."