Spicy Hearty Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the peppers, celery and jalapenos. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Yield: 10 servings (about 4-1/4 quarts).
1-3/4 cups equals 261 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 764 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 starch.