Spicy Hash Browns Recipe
These easy hash browns really rise to the occasion at any breakfast gathering. They're group-approved specialties that are guaranteed to please.—Mike Marratzo, Florence, Alabama
- 25 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 2-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds onions, chopped
- 2-1/2 pounds green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) pimientos, drained and chopped
- 10 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place potatoes in several large stock pots and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Chill several hours or over night.
- 2. Grate potatoes into several large bowls; set aside. In a several large skillets, saute the ham, onions and peppers in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Cool 10 minutes; add to potatoes. Add pimientos and seasonings.
- 3. On a large griddle, cook potatoes in remaining butter until browned; turn over and cook the second side until browned. Place half of the potatoes on a platter; top with cheese and remaining potatoes. Yield: 90-100 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 135 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC