These easy hash browns really rise to the occasion at any breakfast gathering. They're group-approved specialties that are guaranteed to please.—Mike Marratzo, Florence, Alabama
- 25 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 2-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, diced
- 2-1/2 pounds onions, chopped
- 2-1/2 pounds green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 jars (4 ounces each) pimientos, drained and chopped
- 10 teaspoons salt
- 5 teaspoons pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in several large stock pots and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Chill several hours or over night.
- Grate potatoes into several large bowls; set aside. In a several large skillets, saute the ham, onions and peppers in 1/4 cup butter until tender. Cool 10 minutes; add to potatoes. Add pimientos and seasonings.
- On a large griddle, cook potatoes in remaining butter until browned; turn over and cook the second side until browned. Place half of the potatoes on a platter; top with cheese and remaining potatoes. Yield: 90-100 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Hash Browns in Taste of Home February/March 1996, p54
Reviews for Spicy Hash Browns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review