Spicy Hash Brown Waffles with Fried Eggs Recipe
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-3/4 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: salsa, guacamole, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk 1 egg, salt, cumin, pepper and chili powder. Stir in potatoes, onion, green chilies and salsa. Bake in a preheated waffle iron coated with cooking spray until golden brown and potatoes are tender, 8-12 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Break remaining eggs, one at a time, into pan. Reduce heat to low. Cook to desired doneness, turning after whites are set if desired. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand 3 minutes or until melted.
- 3. Serve eggs with waffles and toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 waffle with 1 fried egg (calculated without optional toppings): 273 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 570mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Hash Brown Waffles with Fried Eggs
"While we liked the taste, the dish certainly wasn't as pretty as shown. I oiled both waffle plates well but they still stuck a little. The end result was in pieces not whole squares."
"These are so great! I love finding another purpose for my waffle iron! These are a HUGE hit with my boys. The waffle iron gives you amazing crispiness, which is so hard to do at home with frozen hash browns. We like to make these into sandwiches with the hash browns as the bread. YUM!"
"This was sooo good! I never made a waffle-type dish with hash browns before, and it was a bit different, but I made it for a midday recipe, and when dinner came, all we wanted were salads."