Spicy Hash Brown Waffles with Fried Eggs Recipe
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-3/4 cups refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional toppings: salsa, guacamole, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk 1 egg, salt, cumin, pepper and chili powder. Stir in potatoes, onion, green chilies and salsa. Bake in a preheated waffle iron coated with cooking spray until golden brown and potatoes are tender, about 8-12 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Break remaining eggs, one at a time, into pan. Reduce heat to low. Cook to desired doneness, turning after whites are set if desired. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand 3 minutes or until melted.
- 3. Serve eggs with waffles and toppings of your choice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 waffle with 1 fried egg (calculated without optional toppings) equals 273 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 245 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.