Spicy Grilled Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes, turning several times. Set half of the barbecue sauce aside. Baste chicken with remaining sauce; grill 5-10 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spicy Grilled Barbecue Chicken
Sort By :
"This is the BEST barbecue sauce I've ever tasted! I use it for all my barbecue meals! I made the chicken in the oven for this recipe and turned out to die for! Even my pickiest eater couldn't get enough of this awesome chicken. Keep this recipe handy!"
"This recipe was delicious, but I left the sugar out completely and used 1/2 cup of honey instead. Perfect combination for my family's tastebuds!"
"I followed the recipe but did not have the dry mustard so I used what was on hand and the family loved it!Absolutely great"
"much to sweet and chili powder over whelming"
"thank you jenbridges, never looked that close on a bottle of ketchup which i never suspected would be the culprit. Just never quit learning, even at my old age. lol"