Spicy Grilled Barbecue Chicken Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3-1/2 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes, turning several times. Set half of the barbecue sauce aside. Baste chicken with remaining sauce; grill 5-10 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Spicy Grilled Barbecue Chicken(13)
Sort By :
This recipe was delicious, but I left the sugar out completely and used 1/2 cup of honey instead. Perfect combination for my family's tastebuds!
I followed the recipe but did not have the dry mustard so I used what was on hand and the family loved it!
much to sweet and chili powder over whelming
thank you jenbridges, never looked that close on a bottle of ketchup which i never suspected would be the culprit. Just never quit learning, even at my old age. lol
I just tried this tonight and it was *really* good. I got a little worried when it first started boiling and it smelled so "mustardy", but that went away. Don't cook it past the 15 minutes because as it cools it gets really thick. Instead of grilling it I baked it at 350 until the chicken was tender (65 mins), basting it every 15 minutes and flipping it after the second basting. It was a bit sweet for my taste, so will decrease the sugar next time - and I agree that it's got a bite, but I wouldn't say it's "hot". I don't think anyone will regret making it - even if you adjust it to your own tastes the 2nd time. Thanks for sharing! Yum. :)
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Chicken >
- BBQ Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Chicken Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >