Spicy Ginger Scones
This recipe was created for Thanksgiving weekend with family members who were trying to be more health conscious, but I wanted the flavor to still be there. The candied ginger gives these scones a special zing!—Rebecca Guffey, Apex, North Carolina
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- Additional half-and-half cream and sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and
- nutmeg. Stir in cream just until moistened. Stir in raisins and
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Transfer dough to a
- greased baking sheet. Pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight
- wedges, but do not separate. Brush tops lightly with additional
- cream; sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 8 scones.
Nutritional Facts: 1 scone (calculated without additional cream and sugar) equals 202 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 391 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.