Ginger and red pepper flakes brings a little zip to this beef-and-veggie stovetop supper stirred up by our Test Kitchen staff.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each cornstarch and ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sherry or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 ounces boneless beef top round steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir in the sherry or broth, soy sauce, barbecue sauce and sesame oil; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry carrots and onion in hot canola oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. In the same pan, stir-fry beef and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Stir sauce mixture; stir into pan. Add carrot mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with green onions. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Ginger Beef Stir-fry in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p14
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Spicy Ginger Beef Stir-Fry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review