Spicy Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups salsa, divided
- 10 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut into 3/4-inch strips, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Place 1/4 cup salsa in each of two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Top each with a fourth of the tortillas and 1/4 cup salsa.
- Divide the meat mixture, sour cream and corn between the two casseroles. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa and cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 1 month. Cover and bake second casserole at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed above. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews for Spicy Enchilada Casserole(8)
Sort By :
Not one of our more favorite dishes, but would prob. make again sometime.
My husband and I love this recipe. He has a little problem digesting spicy foods so we use about 1/3 of the chili powder and also 1/3 of the salt. I sauté fresh garlic with the beef and onion instead of using garlic powder. We add the cheese at the last 5 minutes so it's just melted, not baked. (Read somewhere that it's healthier to not cook cheese. I also buy organic canned corn so we don't have to eat GM corn.) We're delighted to have an extra dish for later.
Awesome and easy
My family loves this recipe. We have added this recipe to our menu.
I would like to try it, but after seeing how much sodium is in it, don't think I will.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Enchilada Casserole >
- Enchiladas >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >