Spicy Cranberry Warmer
Meet the Cook: Here in the High Sierras, my husband and I operate a small bed and breakfast inn. I like serving this drink to winter guests as they warm up in front of our stone fireplace - it's a favorite with everyone for its heavenly scent! It's also a standby when we host local groups, who frequently meet at our place.
I learned to cook from my mother. I have been at it since I was a girl
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole allspice
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 cups cranberry juice
- Additional cinnamon sticks, optional
- Place first three ingredients in a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Bring up corners of cloth and tie with a kitchen string. Place with
- cider in a large saucepan. (Or, if desired, place loose spices in
- saucepan and strain before serving.)
- Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and simmer for 5
- minutes. Add cranberry juice and heat to simmering temperature.
- Serve hot in mugs. Garnish with cinnamon sticks if desired. Yield:
- 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 122 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.