Spicy Cran-Apple Sauce
Looking for a delicious way to get extra vitamin C and fiber in your diet? Give this versatile sauce a try. It's great as a condiment or side dish to turkey, pork, fish or chicken. It also makes a terrific dessert or snack mixed with a serving of vanilla ice cream, yogurt or as a topping on your favorite cheesecake. —Kye Feasel, Canal Winchester, Ohio
20 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat
- until berries pop and apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove
- from the heat; mash if desired.
- Transfer to a large bowl; chill until serving.
- Yield: about 5 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup equals 53 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.