Spicy Cowboy Chili Recipe
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 2 dried chipotle chilies
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic bulb, but do not peel or separate the cloves. Cut off top of garlic bulb, exposing individual cloves. Brush cut cloves with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap in foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until cloves are soft. Unwrap and cool slightly. Squeeze garlic from skins; mash with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast chilies on both sides until puffy, about 3-6 minutes. (Do not blacken.) Cool. Remove stems and seeds; coarsely chop chilies. Place in a small bowl; cover with beer. Let stand to soften, about 30 minutes.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil if needed; transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. In the skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add to beef.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, mashed garlic and dried chilies mixture. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. If desired, serve with cheese. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Spicy Cowboy Chili(3)
Sort By :
Excellent Flavor with lots of zip!
I'VE MADE IT SEVERAL TIMES AND IT JUST KEEP'S GETTING BETTER. BEST CHILI I'VE EVER MADE.
We had this last night, itwas very good, the meat was so tender. We used Heineken Dark. Next time I will add more spice as it wasn't quite spicy enough for us but overall a very good chili!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Chili >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Beer Chili >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chili Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Chili Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Low Fat Chili Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Chili >
- Mexican Chilies >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Potluck Chili Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chili >
- Slow Cooker Chili Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Stews >
- Super Bowl Party Dinners >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Chili Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >
- Tomato Soup Recipes >