- in a small bowl; cover with beer. Let stand to soften, about 30
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil if needed; transfer to
- a 6-qt. slow cooker. In the skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over
- medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Add to beef.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, mashed garlic and dried chilies
- mixture. Cover and cook on low 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. If
- desired, serve with cheese. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Editor's Note: One-half teaspoon ground chipotle pepper may be substituted for the dried chipotle chilies; add ground chipotle with mashed garlic and beer mixture to slow cooker.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 301 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 588 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.