Corn bread captures the fabulous flavor of homemade bread without the hassle of rising and kneading the dough. Chili powder and red pepper flakes add zip to this hearty bread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with pepper flakes.
- Bake at 425° for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Corn Bread Squares in Taste of Home Meals in Minutes Calendar Annual 2002, p11
Reviews for Spicy Corn Bread Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review