This coleslaw is great for cookouts, group outings or anytime you want to add some spice to your menu. The green peppers and green onions really bring this dish to life - and it's good for you, too!
Recommended: 70 Summer Recipes to Pack in Your Picnic Basket
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup spicy vegetable juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, cucumber, tomato, green pepper and green onions; set aside. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss gently. Cover and chill for 2 hours; stir before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Coleslaw in Country Extra September 1993, p51