- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cups fresh snow peas (about 7 ounces), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, combine quinoa, water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in ginger, curry powder, cumin, salt and cayenne; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add shrimp and snow peas to skillet; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and snow peas are crisp-tender. Stir in coconut milk and orange juice; heat through. Serve with quinoa; top each serving with coconut and cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spicy Coconut Shrimp with Quinoa
"So flavorful! We will increase the spices and coconut milk and orange juice next time for our personal preference. We freeze leftover coconut milk into ice cubes so this made it easy. Will definitely make again! Thank you for sharing."
"Delicious! The coconut milk and toasted coconut garnish give you the taste of fried coconut shrimp without all of the calories. It also paired really nicely with the quinoa."
"We made this without the cayenne pepper because we don't like spicy foods. It was delicious!"
"I made this recipe on a weeknight. It was easy and delicious -- if you bought the shrimp already peeled, it would be REALLY quick.I didn't want to open a can of coconut milk to use such a small amount, so I used dairy milk, and got the coconut flavor by cooking it in coconut oil.I will definitely use this recipe again."