- 6 pounds tomatoes
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, a few at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Peel and finely chop tomatoes to measure 9 cups.
- In a stock pot, combine the tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 8 pints.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Spicy Chunky Salsa
"I have made 2 batches of this salsa in the last week. Really like it. I do cook it down longer than recipe states, probably 2-3 hours. I only used 1-6 oz. can of tomato paste. I did not add the serrano peppers, as I did not grow any in my garden. Will make this again next tomato season."
"this is a awesome!! wme and my hubby mae this last wkend and made 30 pints!!!! yes! 30:)"
"Best chunky salsa ever my family loves it I find myself doing this pretty often this is def a must try recipe ."
"This is a tasty recipe, but I used 12 lbs of tomatoes thinking I could make a double batch, but those 12 lbs only made 10 cups. I did drain all the juice and seeded most of them. I used some roma and other medium size tomatoes. I like roma as they seem meatier. I, too reduced the sugar and vinegar and doubled the hot peppers and it still wasn't hot, used some with seeds and some without. Great texture and flavor. Will be making it again soon."
"First batch was excellent and the entire family loved it but tweeking just a bit for the 2nd batch. This time I will use a few more tomatoes and hot peppers. Probably double the tomato paste because we like it a bit thicker and spicier. Excellent recipe because it can be easily adjusted to your own personal taste!"