Spicy Chunky Salsa Recipe
- 6 pounds tomatoes
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, a few at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Peel and finely chop tomatoes to measure 9 cups.
- 2. In a stock pot, combine the tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 8 pints.
1/4 cup equals 25 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Chunky Salsa
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.