Spicy Chorizo & Shrimp Rice Recipe
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 4 tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or diced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; add tomatillos. Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until meat is fully cooked. Add the rice, onion, celery leaves, carrot, garlic powder and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 478 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 1,282 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.