Spicy Chorizo & Shrimp Rice Recipe
- 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 4 tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or diced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; add tomatillos. Cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until meat is fully cooked. Add the rice, onion, celery leaves, carrot, garlic powder and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and rice is tender. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 478 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 1282mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Chorizo & Shrimp Rice
"If you could give ten or more stars to this, we would. Have been making this since the recipe was published. Would urge you to use hot chorizo (we like heat) and more shrimp. Friends from Honduras always ask for this for dinner. Sometimes we add a finely diced jalapeno chile to this, and/or ground cumin to taste. However you choose to prepare this, you will be delighted."
"beautifully easy and spicy good. only possible improvement would be to toss in a few more shrimp!"
"Used hot Italian sausage in this. It was very spicy and very good! I really liked working with the tomatillos."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.