Spicy Chipotle-Black Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese and/or finely chopped red onion, optional
- Place Creole seasoning in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, saute beef in oil in batches. Stir in the onion, chipotle peppers and garlic. Cook 3 minutes longer or until onion is tender. Drain.
- Stir in the masa harina, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, cinnamon, salt and cayenne. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Stir in beans; heat through. Garnish with cheddar cheese and/or red onion if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Chipotle Black Bean Chili in Mexican Bookazine 2012, p77
Reviews for Spicy Chipotle-Black Bean Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review