Spicy Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe
"Having the seasonings mixed up in advance makes stirring up a batch of chili a breeze," suggests Mary Henderson of Opelika, Alabama. "It's a bold but pleasant blend. I like the round steak and ground beef combination."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 10 min. YIELD:40 servings
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.Yield: 4 batches (20 teaspoons total).
- 2. To prepare chili: Lightly brown steak in oil in a Dutch oven; add 3 teaspoons of the seasoning mix and toss to coat. Add ground beef; cook until meat is no longer pink. Add onion; cook until tender. Add tomatoes and 2 more teaspoons of mix. Stir in one can of chili beans. Place the other can in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to chili. Cook on low for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts) per batch.
1 serving (1/2 teaspoon) equals 195 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 273 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC