- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion and jalapenos in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper sauce and seasonings. Drain macaroni; stir into turkey mixture. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Chili Mac
Sort By :
I made a few substitutions, I use ground beef, regular macaroni, pinto beans instead of black beans and only used one jalapeno pepper, and it turned out pretty good. I also added 1 cup of cheese instead of 3/4 cup. Will make again.
So good! We served with the Quick Avocado Tomato salad and it was a terrific meal.
I made as directed, except used Ronzoni Smart Taste, instead of whole wheat. Since my kids were also eating this I only used the minimum recommended amounts (2 jalapenos, 2 tsp of chili powder and 1 TBS of (Franks) hot sauce); it was a perfect compromise on heat. We did dollop with light sour cream and liked it better with it than without. Also, the recipe did not specify, so I used 99% lean turkey and did not miss the fat.
We used ground beef, used the hot sauce to taste, and only used the jalapeños as a garnish due to the heat. Everyone loved it and had multiple helpings.
It was good. I made it with hamburger instead because I didn't have turkey.
We loved this. The only change I made was I increased the cheese. It's delicious as it is though. Garnished with dollop of sour cream and some taco sauce. It was YUMMY. I will definitely be making this again. It is going in my printed recipe book of tried and true favorites. Thanks for sharing.