- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion and jalapenos in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper sauce and seasonings. Drain macaroni; stir into turkey mixture. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spicy Chili Mac
Sort By :
"My husband and I were very happy with this recipe. It was quick, easy, and I had all the ingredients on hand. Not to mention that it tasted great! I think the next time I make this I'm going to replace one of the jalape?os for a chipotle in adobo."
"I didn't add the jalapeno peppers as my family doesn't like a lot of heat so maybe that's why it tasted a little bland to us. Next time I would add a packet of chili seasoning to the meat to give the dish a little more flavor."
"Lots of heat and turns out perfect! I used the max for all of the ingredients and instead of ground turkey I used ground venison."
"Yummers! I used the lesser amounts of the seasonings and only 1 jalapeno. I also used ground beef and pasta shells. My husband sprinkled Greek seasoning over his portion and it was great. Will make again and try Greek seasoning in the entire recipe and the full amounts of all ingredients."
"I made a few substitutions, I use ground beef, regular macaroni, pinto beans instead of black beans and only used one jalapeno pepper, and it turned out pretty good. I also added 1 cup of cheese instead of 3/4 cup. Will make again."